Friday, August 19, 2005

Am I Odd??

So, blueadt tagged me on the idiosyncracies meme that is currently doing the rounds. Well, I had some trouble thinking up 5 things that are a bit odd about me ;) but here goes:

1. I can only drink tea out of bone china mugs or cups. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't taste the same out of a stoneware mug. Conversely, I HATE drinking coffee out of bone china. Go figure.

2. Also tea-related. Whenever I have a hot drink of any description I always leave about an inch at the bottom of the mug. This stems back to my childhood. My poor mother took forever to cotton on to the wonders of teabags, so as kids we were served tea made with the leaves. Why she didn't use a tea strainer is beyond me. These days people would call it child abuse. Anyway, by the time our tea was being served in bag form the habit was already ingrained, and I just can't make myself finish a hot drink.

3. I consider myself to be a very shy person, yet every job I have ever had has involved meeting new people on an extremely regular basis. My previous career was in theatre - hardly the place for shrinking violets, even though I did work backstage. For the last 18 years I've worked in a profession that relies on connecting and engaging with people. My primary role is even "Client Relationship Manager". How did that happen?

4. I have a thing about eyes. I can't stand touching them - even my own. I can just about manage to rub my eyes if I have an itch, and apply makeup, but I could no more wear contact lenses than fly to the moon. And as for touching someone else's eyes - euch!! If Eddie ever gets something in his eye I'm no help whatsoever. I have no idea where this phobia comes from.

5. I talk to myself. Out loud. A lot. Often Eddie will come into the house and think we have visitors because I'm rabbiting away to myself. I do it so much I'm no longer aware of when I am doing it. I think I manage to curb the compulsion when I'm in public, but maybe not. I can see a great future ahead of me as "that crazy old dog lady who smells of wee and loves ramming her shopping trolley on wheels into unsuspecting ankles".

So, now you know more about me than you probably ever wanted to. Ok, off to find 5 people with blogs who haven't been through this ritual humiliation yet......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the same about eyeballs. I was once reading a novel standing up on a packed commuter train when there was a bit about eyeballs being touched... I fainted right on top of the laps of a row of seated commuters!

4:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines