Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Knackering weekend

Just recovering from a completely knackering weekend. On Saturday we trimmed all of the goats' feet. 58 goats, that's 232 feet! Bent double all day - my body was one big ache by the time we'd finished.

On Sunday, all the goats were sheared. Here's our shearer David hard at work..



I really don't know how he does it. Bent double from 8 a.m until 5 p.m wrestling with goats weighing up to 80 kilos, and for just £2.50 per goat. He certainly earns his money!

The adults are used to being sheared now, but this was the kids' first shearing, and they do tend to scream! It sounds like we're killing babies! Still you can't really blame them when they go from this:



to this...



The pygmies looked smug, knowing they didn't have to suffer such indignities...



To add insult to injury the buck kids were also separated from their mums and put in with the adult bucks. Luckily the adults are real gents and are treating the young upstarts very well.

On Monday we started moving into the house. Oh joy! Flush toilets and my first shower for 5 weeks!! AND I got my stash back within reach.

On the knitting front, I finished knitting Lovlund at the weekend, and hopefully this weekend I'll get time to wash and block it before sewing it up (the worst part). Pics to follow. I've cast on for Clapotis in the yummy Hip Knits silk, Swamp. So far I'm loving this pattern. It is so logical and methodical. It needs just enough concentration to make it interesting, but not too much.

Strangely, while watching TV the other night and admiring my lovely knitted socks (again), Eddie asked me to knit him some socks! Wow, that's the first time in 20 years he's asked me to knit him anything.

Not long to go now until the 20th when I'll be meeting up with some of the lovely UK gals from Knitty for a day of drooling over yarn, KIP'ing and generally having fun. Can't wait!

4 Comments:

Blogger scarletprincess said...

Hey Caroline
The CSI QT double bill got delayed to the following week. It was fab so i really hope you do have it!
Those goats are adorable! Do you do anything with the fleece one it's been sheared off?

5:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those animals of yours are just so - well, I mean, were so - cuddly!

Lovely pics. Enjoy the shower!

11:37 am  
Blogger PURLPOWER said...

Have a great time with the UK Knitty girls. I gather you're heading for Loop - it's brill! Going to put some comments and pics up later today if I can manage it.

4:41 pm  
Blogger soapy said...

Imagine civilization again!!! Enjoy!! Your animals are sooo sweet!! You don't spin yourself?? OH NO!!! Mohair , kid mohair is wonderful espeically. Great adding to socks to or even thrummed mittens or socks!!Hope you get all settled in shortly!! Have a great weekend!

12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines