Thursday, August 11, 2005

Sometimes I wonder....

whether I am perpetually predestined to only knit scarves, shawls and (maybe) socks, since these seem to be the only things I can knit without things going horribly wrong.

First there was the "Oh b***ocks* I've run out of yarn with only about 20 yards needed and it just happens to be a one off hand dyed lot", which led to the frogging of the last sweater I was knitting.

Then at the weekend I got out my Lovlund to wash and block. Now, ok, after I cast off the front I just stuffed it into the bag as we were about to move into the house, and, no I didn't compare the front to the back (which I knitted first). Until I'd washed and blocked it. Bugger. The sleeves on the back are, well, odd. And not really like the sleeves on the front. And no way can I sew this up without it looking absolutely pants. Which means I'm going to have to frog the back to the point where I cast on additional stitches for the arms. I HATE that. Once something is off the needles, it's SO hard to go back and do it again. But I will. One day. Soon.

On a more positive note, Clapotis is coming along beautifully in the (frogged) silk. Mind you I did end up tinking two rows (of 107 stitches!!) last night for no bloody good reason, other than I temporarily lost my place and thought I'd made a mistake when I hadn't. I hate that too.

Today, during my lunch break at work, I went to Knittinghelp.com and learned how to do a long tail cast on. Yay! Ok, so it took me about 10 minutes to catch on, and my first attempt ended up being too short FOR JUST ONE MORE STITCH - and that's after I carefully followed the instructions to allow 1" per stitch (I even allowed a bit more), but they don't tell you you need even more than that because trying to do the wrapping round your fingers thing with 6" of yarn, and less, isn't going to work, not even when you try to eek it out by tying the end of the yarn to a rubber band. Still, the second attempt was successful (and faster), and yes I do now have a tail of about 2 feet dangling which was spare (better safe than sorry), but hey I can always use it for the seaming.

So, I have cast on for Klaralund and that is what I'll be knitting on the train for the next god knows how long. It's also probably what I'll take to the UKnitty mini meet on the 20th, because it's a simple pattern so even I should be able to talk and knit at the same time, without having to undo the whole lot when I get home. Yes, another sweater. I'm a glutton for punishment...

2 Comments:

Blogger blueadt said...

I'm tagging you! There is a thing about idiosyncracies on my blog that is a kind of chain-blog thing. Post yours if you dare!

4:52 pm  
Blogger scarletprincess said...

I was actually tought with long-tail cast on and I always end up with a long tail, but it's great for sewing- especially if you don't think you have enough left from the ball at the end!
Good luck with your jumper
x

7:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines