Sunday, March 26, 2006

Fairly frantic

Life seems to have got slightly out of hand lately, hence this will be a quick and pictureless post!

Work has got quite frighteningly manic in the last couple of weeks, due largely to the end of the tax year looming. It seems that no matter how much my partners and I try to organise things so there are no last minute rushes to get tax planning done, we always seem to end up with too much to do and too little time to do it in!

I was supposed to go the Knitty meet up at Stitches 2006 yesterday, but instead had to spend a good chunk of what was one of the first lovely days in what seems like forever catching up with work. Mind you, I did manage to find some time to organise my stash, ready for Flash your Stash. Having heaped it all out onto the spare bed I was frankly stunned by the amount of yarn I've accumulated. I decided to have a ruthless cull, keeping only what I absolutely love and am 100% sure I'm going to knit (which is still a frightening amount). A fair proportion of the rest will be going up on eBay soon. Some of it is too hideous even for eBay (stuff I bought when I really hadn't a clue). That's been consigned to the blanket box until I decide what to do with it (charity shop?)

Today we held an open day for the village. We had no idea whether anyone would bother to turn up, but in fact had a constant stream of people - about 50 all told. A mixture of families with young children, who loved that they got to stroke a kid, older people and even a bunch of teenagers. Everyone seemed very interested in the goats, and I was relieved at how many people remarked that it didn't smell ;) "like most farms do". We finally closed the gates at 3.30 and we're both absolutely pooped - as are the goats. With an unusually early start (they'd forgotten the clocks went forward last night) and the regular arrival of vistors they haven't had the chance to do what they normally spend most of the day doing - sleeping.

On the knitting front I am making what can at best be described as "steady" progress on the Aran Pullover. The back is done, and I finally finished the sleeves on Wednesday (two knit at once, in seed / moss stitch - dull, dull, dull). I'm almost through the first repeat on the front. The cable pattern is really interesting to knit, and I'm pleased with how it's turning out so far but I can't help thinking about the fact that once it's off the needles there's still all the seaming to do. Having knit two sweaters in the round, and now this one flat, I'm really beginning to appreciate the benefits of having no seaming to do.

I always seem to find when I get to this stage in a project - about 3/4 complete - that I start itching to knit something else. I've tried having more than one project on the go at once but that really doesn't work for me, so I won't start anything else until this is off the needles (that's my cut off point - I don't count blocking and seaming as that's always something I do at weekends when I can devote a whole day to it ). There seem to be so many things I want to knit next - a 3/4 sleeve top down sweater in yummy Rowan Kid Classic; Eddie's socks with the wonderful Knit Picks merino my SP sent me; a shawl with some of my stash of Rowan KSH. The list is endless. Added to this week by another fabulous package from my SP which included a beautiful soft chunky alpaca yarn in a vibrant purple. It's sitting there screaming "wrist warmers!!" at me. Thank you SP!!

Hopefully I might get time to post some knitting progress pics during the week. I'll check in when I can!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You open house sounded like a lot of fun. I should find a farm near me and go there. I'm sure things will calm down for you soon. Rest up.

~your pal

6:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your open day, though tiring, sounds delightful. Hope Smiley behaved himself!

Take care (and now I must catch up with Neighbours...)

1:40 pm  
Blogger PURLPOWER said...

Like you I have lots of stuff that I bought when I 'didn't have a clue' about yarn, much of it from charity shops funnily enough!

Unlike you though, I am too much of a hoarder to part with it just yet...I admire anyone who can get rid of stuff ruthlessly, well done!

Hope work calms down for you soon.

6:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines