Saturday, March 04, 2006

D is for...... Dyeing

My first attempt at Kool Aid dyeing to be precise.

Being a complete wuss I decided not to dive straight into the heady world of self striping, and stuck to a few solid colours to start with














This is the yarn Iris sent me which she spun from our fleece. On the left is Jacob wool in Cherry, on the right, kid mohair, silk & wool in Grape

Next up some slub wool I bought at Ally Pally from Texere Yarns in Tropical Punch














Feeling bolder, I felt ready for a two colour combo. Wool from The Handweaver's Studio in Grape and Lime














There was no stopping me now. I spread out the Knit Picks "Colour Your Own" merino, from my wonderful Secret Pal, furiously mixed up some Strawberry, Melon, Lemonade and Tropical Punch and Ta Da!














Throwing caution to the wind the mad scientist in me took over and I tried mixing my own colour. Using a mystery package of Kool Aid from my SP, which turned out to be blue, with some lemonade I got this














This is some mohair / alpaca boucle, again from Texere Yarns. I crammed loads of yarn in the bowl which has given the yarn a lovely "wash" of lighter and darker aqua. Eddie has christened this yarn "Mermaid".

Talking of Eddie, the bright ones amongst you will have worked out by now that the next letter in the sequence is E. Now, what could E be for I wonder? (insert evil cackle here)

6 Comments:

Blogger sgeddes said...

Great job on the dyeing! You got some wondeful colors. Now you just have to decide what to knit!

9:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job you've done with your first Kool Aid dyeing - there's some amazing colors indeed and I'm already more than curious to see what you're gonna make with this yarn!

9:30 am  
Blogger Stacey said...

I have a couple of packets of koolaid waiting to be used. Your sucess at it might just make me feel a little bit less scared of it. You've done a good job, it looks luscious.

12:45 pm  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow! The colors are fab!!! I'll hit the supermarket before I come over in a few weeks and stock up on Kool-Aid for you. :-)

Carolyn

2:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing job at dyeing! I love the color combos you came up with. Do you want some more Kool-Aid?

~Your Secret Pal :)

1:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to leave you messge earlier but blogger was playing up - I just love the Kool Aid colourways you came up with! That green and purple combo looks so tempting.

5:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines