Saturday, October 01, 2005


Which about sums up how I feel at the moment, and is my excuse for lack of blogging.

Since my week off (which seems like another lifetime ago) work has been incredibly hectic. Added to which Eddie has been working away for the last 2 weeks, and the chap in the village, Geoffrey, who normally does some of the routine feeds when Eddie is away was not available. So, hello to days that start at 5 a.m., and find me sitting down to eat my tea at 9.30 p.m. with absolutely no breaks in between. Week 1 was made worse by a couple of the goats getting stomach upsets due to very heavy dew on the grass (you know those lovely misty mornings you get at the end of the summer when the sun burns the mist away? Great for walking the dogs in, not so nice for the goats). A goat with the squits gets dehydrated pretty quickly, and trying to get 2 litres of fluid into them several times a day is not the easiest or quickest thing in the world to try and do.

So, by last Friday I felt like absolute shite. And then I got the news that Deb,( my lovely sis-in-law)'s mum died on Friday evening. She has been battling cancer for most of this year. It's so sad, but I know Deb is glad for her mum that the pain is over. Death is always awful for those left behind though. So, not a good end to the week.

However, last Saturday I managed a lie in until 8, and then spent the day at The Knit Tin where I learnt to crochet!! Yay!

Six women ranging in age from 31 to 80, none of whom knew each other. We never stopped laughing all day. It was great fun, and we were all pretty equally pants at it to begin with, and all pretty darn good at it by the end of the day. Anna, who took the workshop, was patience personified, and a brilliant teacher.

During lunch we all descended on the shop like locusts. Now the last thing I needed was any more yarn - I've got a To Do list as long as my arm. And I promised myself on the way there I would only buy needles and notions. No yarn. Absolutely none. No way.

Then I saw this

and I just had to get the yarn to knit this

Thing is, I wasn't taken with the range of clours in the shop for Natural Fleece, so decided to sub with this, which has exactly the same gauge

Also picked up some 9mm bamboo circs, and a couple of other bits and bobs.

I'm on the second cashmere sock, which I hope to finish this weekend, or early next week. I'm obviously getting cocky with this sock knitting business as I've branched out into a 2x2 rib instead of plain stocking stitch. It's made for a much better fit. I've also gone down a sock size, and can finally say I have made a sock that fits me perfectly (and has no holes in!).

Then I HAVE to finish Klaralund (still on last sleeve, haven't done any knitting on the train for the last couple of weeks as too knackered), and THEN I can start on this. Until then I'm petting the yarn every so often.

In between the total chaos that has been my life for the last couple of weeks, I have managed to creep onto eBay occasionally. I managed to pick up a swift to go with my bargain wool winder. It's ancient, but looks to be in very good condition - haven't had a chance to try it out yet. If it does work, it will have been another great bargain at £6 including p&p. Have also managed to track down some of the things on my SP's wish list, so have just about got the next package ready to go.

This week has been another week of total exhaustion but had a great night out last night with everyone from work. Our young chap, Jas, who we've trained up from leaving uni is ready to go off into the big wide world (well Milton Keynes), and last night was his leaving do. We had a fab meal at The Lightship at St Katherine's Docks, and I discovered the Tower of London is about 10 minutes walk from my office. I really am so crap at knowing where stuff is in London. But next summer I'm determined I'm going to take a stroll down there on a nice sunny day.

Got home at about 1.15 this morning. I'm so glad I live at the end of the line because I fell into such a deep sleep on the train and only woke up when it finally stopped. Leapt up, (like you do when you wake up suddenly) and jumped off the train only to discover my right leg had gone to sleep and refused to take my weight. Cue me crumpling into a heap. I bet everyone else getting off the train thought I was pissed (I don't drink!).

Today I have been shopping and catching up with emails. Tomorrow I get to visit the Knitty board properly for the first time in about 3 weeks.

Next week Eddie is away again but Geoffrey is on hand to help out. The funeral is on Monday, which won't be good, but on Friday (my birthday) I'm meeting Kerrie for lunch - turns out she works just across the road from me so we are rendezvousing at Pizza Express. That will be a lovely end to another manic week.

Oh, and finally thanks for all the name suggestions - I love them and will use them all.

Thanks especially to Jess for her suggestion for Smiley Miley - now known as Tolcarne Gelos after the Greek spirit of laughter. Isn't that just so wonderful, and so appropriate?


Blogger holly said...

So sorry to hear about your SIL's Mum :( Cancer is a horrible horrible thing.

6:48 pm  
Blogger Iris said...

Sounds like you had a heck of a week...

8:41 pm  
Anonymous Jess said...

Sorry about the exhausting work and the family bereavement. Keep strong.

But - wow - I got to name a goat! I am so chuffed.

3:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< *.* >>
Subscribe with Bloglines