Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Thank you

In all my ramblings yesterday I forgot one of the most important things I wanted to say, which was a big THANK YOU to everyone who posted a comment to my entry about Pig Pen. I can't tell you how much they helped. I tend not to talk about the goats at work - they already think I'm bonkers enough, what with the knitting and all - and Eddie and I just went round in "What if.." circles when we talked about it, so to be able to unload here was very cathartic.

Pig Pen has a little brother, Smiley Miley (does anyone else remember him from the Radio 1 roadshow days?). He started life being called "Smiley, smiley Carol Smilie" (Dead Ringers), but clearly he coudn't go through life called that! Anyway, for the first couple of days, he seemed to be looking for his brother all the time, it was quite sad. But he seems to have readjusted now, and he's fine, as you can see....



















Can you see why we call him Smiley Miley? By the way, he's not in some awful prison in this shot, he's behind the creep feeder, which is his favourite place to snuggle up and go to sleep. I actually had to wake him up to take this photo!

Smiley Miley will be his "stable" name, but he will have something much posher when I register him. Our flock prefix is "Tolcarne", after the farm in Cornwall where we started our livestock enterprise. Each year I choose a theme for naming the goats. Past themes have been flowers and plants, trees, and Shakespeare characters. So far I have managed to resist Eddie's annual suggestion to use cars as a theme :(. This year I want to name all the kids after Greek or Roman gods and goddesses. Any suggestions for Smiley Miley (and any of the other kids - there are 15 to name in total) will be gratefully received. I need to do some research on this subject as I'd like to try and avoid the obvious "Tolcarne Thor" or "Tolcarne Venus" etc.

Blimey, two posts in two days - aren't I the cat's whiskers ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger scarletprincess said...

Smiley Miley is so sweet!!!

7:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How bout
for girls
Tolcarne Eris (godess of discord, if you have a combative one)
Tolcarne Hebe (godess of youth)
Tolcarne Metis (mother of Athena)
But for Smiley Miley? Tolcarne Gelos (after the Greek spirit of laughter)?

Koolaid during lunch hour - well, only a small batch (50 grms) and with previous experience. The first time may take a while. I dry them in the garden, or if it is wet they hang over the bath until they are ok to place on radiator to get rid of final dampness.

6:17 pm  
Blogger Iris said...

Thanks for your comment Carolyn - so you swapped with Michelle too? She really was lovely. I've yet to try her handmade soap, but it smells divine. :)

As for Greek mythology names... Well, there is:
Pan - Pan is the son of Hermes. He is the god of goatherds and shepherds.
Aeolus - God of the winds.
The nine muses - Clio (History), Urania (Astronomy), Melpomene (Tragedy), Thalia (Comedy), Terpsichore (Dance), Calliope (Epic Poetry), Erato (Love Poetry), Polyhymnia (Songs to the Gods), Euterpe (Lyric Poetry).
Asclepius - god of healing
Aba - A Thracian nymph loved by Poseidon
Acraea - daughter of the river Asterion.
Aegipan - The fish-goat god. Now the constellation Capricorn.

Greek mythology is so much fun... ;)

10:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't help thinking he's a bit of an Adonis, but I don't think he was actually a god was he?

5:11 pm  
Blogger soapy said...

he's adorable!! That anniversary sweater will be gorgeous... Are you goign to use your own homespun fo rit? I think that be very special

5:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines