Friday, May 12, 2006

Wish us luck!

Tomorrow is the first show of the season for us, the Newark & Nottinghamshire County Show. We have 7 goats entered and they're looking pretty good, so fingers crossed!

Eddie has just left with all the goats and assorted paraphenalia so he can get them settled in this evening, before judging tomorrow. Judging is at 9 a.m which means I need to get there by about 8. It's just over a 2 hour drive and I have to see to the animals and walk the dogs before I go. Working backwards that means.... um, an early night for me!

As I must be home by 3 p.m on Saturday (and to see to the animals of course!) I won't have very long at the show, but hopefully my mum and dad are going to come and look after the animals for all the other shows so I will get a chance to catch up with all our "goaty" friends then.

On the knitting front I've had my first major disaster for quite a while. I've been trying to knit Mesilla (without the embroidery). Really, I shouldn't be having any problems at all - it's such a straightforward pattern, but I cannot get the neck to work. If I knit as the pattern is written, only picking up stitches for 2 out of every 3 rows on the neckline, and decrease as written a) it looks awful around the neckline, and b) I end up after knitting the various contrast colours with a hole I'd have trouble fitting my hand through, let alone my head. I've tried picking up a stitch for every row on the neckline instead, which looks much better, but I still end up with a small hole and it gapes at the front - I'm just not getting that nice U-shaped neckline. I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong, and it's really pissing me off. I have to say it would really help if the pattern gave an actual stitch count at this point. These are given right the way through the pattern, but none at this stage. I know guage isn't the problem, I just can't work out where I'm going wrong.

I've put it aside for now and am knitting these instead














Baby cable rib socks, my first go at knitting socks on two circulars. So far, I'm finding it a lot easier than using DPNs. I don't have to worry about stitches dropping off the needles, and it just seems far less fiddly overall. The yarn is Knit Picks Sock Landscape in shade New England Foliage - one of the many lovely gifts I received from bryghtrose in SP6. I'm supposed to be knitting socks for Eddie ( something he points out to me often), but I didn't want to combine learning a new technique with knitting something for Mr Fussy - I'd rather make the mistakes on my own socks. Plus, I wanted a new pair of socks. Plus, I'm just plain mean.

5 Comments:

Blogger PURLPOWER said...

One thing you are not lady, is mean! Those socks look gorgeous though, far too nice to give to someone else. I have decided that other people (apart from knitters of course) are only getting plain socks from now on and the fancy ones are all for me, me, me!

Good luck at the show tomorow!

5:40 pm  
Anonymous rose said...

I thought Eddie wanted the Mesa socks, not New England Foliage :) It's great to see what they look like knitted up.

Good luck at the goat show. Your animals will do well, I'm sure.

6:40 pm  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Wow on the socks! They look great.

Good luck with the goats at the show! Let us know how they do!

12:06 am  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Good luck at the show!! I can't wait to hear the follow up.

As for socks, I think the same way--I don't want to 'test' something out on a gift pair and so I knit them for me. And then I keep on trying new things :) so they'll all end up being for me.

6:25 am  
Blogger aija said...

Good luck at the show!

The 2 circ socks look great :)

6:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines