Sunday, January 22, 2006

Yarn pRon

Last weekend I got the most wonderful surprise package in the post. Iris had sent me some yarn she had spun from some of our fleece.

The first skein was spun from pure Jacob fleece














I realise now that Jacob wool is the not the softest in the world, and this probably isn't something you would want to wear next to your skin, but I love the texture of the yarn. I think it would make a lovely "rugged" sweater.

The second skein is 80% kid mohair, 15% Jacob and 5% silk














This is beautifully soft, and even though it is predominantly mohair, it doesn't appear to be a yarn that would shed horribly over everything.

I can't tell you how surprisingly overwhelmed I felt when I opened this package. I guess it's because we have spent so much time raising the animals, actually seeing their fleece transformed into yarn seems like such a huge "validation" of it all.

I intend to dye the skeins (but first I will practice on the yarn I bought at Ally Pally for Kool Aid dyeing - I'd hate to make a mess of dyeing them!)

It's given me a great sense of what can be done with the fleece, and has really spurred me on to getting the fleece processed into yarn.

It was so kind of Iris to send them - honestly I can't thank her enough. And hasn't she done a really great job, they are beautifully spun!

Finally, no yarn pRon entry would be complete without a couple of gratuitous shots of Noro Korchoran



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very special treat, isn't it!

11:53 am  
Blogger Iris said...

Glad you are happy with the handspun, Carolyn. I'll be interested to see what it looks like when you've dyed it! :-)

12:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines