Sunday, November 19, 2006

Laughing in the face of adversity

For the last two weeks I have been working on a “project”. It was a design I could picture perfectly in my head: Top down, slightly boatneck, lace detail at the top, closely fitted body, widening to an A line, with lace detail repeated. Three-quarter sleeves, ending with the lace.

In a nutshell, I couldn’t make it work – at least not as well as I wanted it too. To be fair, the body worked well – probably the most flattering item I have knit if judged on the shaping alone. But it just wasn’t quite right. The problems were with the sleeves. With the double knit yarn I was using, for some reason the weight of the sleeves seemed to drag on the neckline, pulling the garment off my shoulders. I couldn’t stand wearing something I constantly needed to hitch up to cover my bra straps. So, the whole thing has been frogged, and the yarn will become something else. Someone else’s design, while I try to learn more. I have absolutely no desire to be a knitwear designer, but I love the thought of knitting something specifically for my body.

Oh well, it was a start, and a good learning process.

Yesterday, Eddie asked me out of the blue if I would knit him a scarf. So I let him choose any yarn he liked from my stash. *Sigh* he chose the Jaeger Natural Fleece in a black & white fleck I had earmarked for a sweater. Well, I love my man, so the Jaeger Natural Fleece it is. Lucky it’s a chunky knit, and even I can’t make a balls up of a 2 x 2 rib.

Since my last posting autumn has definitely arrived. The trees have turned, and on a beautifully sunny day like today the colours zing. The creeper that grows along the back wall of the house is laden with berries.














I wonder if this means we are in for a hard winter?

Only 38 days to Christmas, and so far this year I have no plans for any Christmas knitting. Last year I knitted scarves for my two younger nephews and my brother, and a beautiful silk Clapotis for my sister in law, but this year I haven’t been inspired to knit for my relatives. Maybe it’s because Christmas this year will, for us, be superseded by our next trip to France – booked for 7th January – which we are looking forward to so much more, as it will be our first proper house-hunting trip. We’ll be busy between now and then scouring the web for properties that might be suitable, and trying to get viewings arranged. Exciting times.

5 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

Sorry to hear about your sweater design woes--I bet it would have been very pretty!

I'm not knitting for Christmas either--except one pair of socks for my Dad. Maybe a pair for my mother if I have time...

1:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's harder than it looks, this pattern designinglark. I made a simple sweatshirt for my husband and it had the same droopy shoulders problem as your sweater. The sleeves are (wait for it) 8" too long. I will sort it, someday.

3:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sympathize with your sweater woes. The scarf sounds like just the relaxing knit you need.

I'm only doing two Christmas knits--both hats. One is for my brother (who's the only family member who appreciates my knitting) and one is for whichever cousin I get in the swap.

3:08 pm  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I'm still finishing up last year's Christmas gifts! No new Christmas knitting for me.

Sorry the sweater didn't work out; good luck with the next try.

Carolyn
xo

6:42 pm  
Blogger PURLPOWER said...

I've said 'no' to christmas knitting this year for the first time since I started knitting 3 years ago and it feels great! I may never subject myself to the midnight christmas eve knitting ritual ever again. Stick with me kid and say no to christmas knitting!

3:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines