Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Christmas knitting finished!

Hurrah! Christmas knitting got finished on Saturday. Ok, I didn't have very much to do - Deb's Clapotis was finished some time ago - but I did knit 3 Irish Hiking scarves one after the other! It's a fabulous pattern, and great TV knitting, but I was starting to get just the slightest bit bored by #3.

Having got those out of the way I have returned to my beloved Anniversary Sweater (oh yes, more cables!). What really struck me going back to this is just how absolutely lusciously soft the Handpainted Yarn worsted merino is. Bearing in mind I had just finished knitting the scarves in Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Aran, and Rowan Yorkshire Tweed, neither of which are exactly rough, I still just couldn't get over the difference with this yarn. It is absolutely fabulous to knit. The finished item is going to be wonderfully snuggly.

The back is done and I'm just over half way through the first sleeve. Now that I'm doing the cabling without a cable needle it seems to be moving along quite well. I really need to get it finished as I've got patterns for jumpers and cardigans which are queueing up to be knit in a desperate attempt to try and reduce my stash.

I am trying very hard not to buy any more yarn until I do this - I have some absolutely beautiful yarns in the stash: lots of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk, wonderful Possum yarn from Touch Yarns I bought at Ally Pally, Noro Blossom, not to mention lots more of the HPY worsted merino (at least enough to knit another jumper), and almost a kilo of Hip Knits silk. Then there are the various smaller amounts of at least 8 scrummy yarns like Louisa Harding Impression, Touch Yarns hand painted merino, Artisan laceweight merino, and Colinette Giotta which will make lovely scarves. Then there's the Kid Silk Haze I bought to knit Lily Chinn's Reversible Rib Shawl, a hank of wonderful Cashmere from Hip Knits, all the lovely yarn my SP has sent me, enough sock yarn to knit about 6 pairs of socks..... Need I go on?

I really ought to be ashamed of myself. I DON'T NEED ANY MORE YARN.

What is it about yarn that is so tempting you just have to have more, and more, even when you've got a stash loads of knitters would stick needles in your eyes for?

I think I have to make it one of my resolutions for the New Year - otherwise we'll have to move house to accommodate the stash.

2 Comments:

Blogger PURLPOWER said...

You've finished your Christmas knitting already??? With more than ten days to go??? Frankly I think that is shocking! I don't consider it to be Christmas unless I'm still clacking away at the eleventh hour of Christmas Eve still under the hopeless delusion that 'one more hour of knitting' will somehow be enough to knit three pairs of socks and a novelty scarf. Humph.

P.S. Merry Christmas! I am off to Spain for two weeks but will be in touch again in the new year.

6:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice sounding stash... I have given up on having any yarn will power.

all your Xmas knitting done.... wow.

1:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines