Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bonne Année, and.......... SURPRISE!!

A slightly belated happy new year!

There was so much I was planning to tell you about what I’ve been up to, but then everything got swept aside yesterday afternoon when this little chap arrived
















Now, I have to confess that we were not expecting this. Based on the dates we put the bucks with the does we are due to start kidding in about mid March. This little chap proves that there was some unscheduled hanky panky in early September. This would have been when the goats were still housed while Eddie was working flat out madly trying to erect electric fencing for them. I do have a vague recollection of one of the bucks breeching the defences but I thought we had caught him before he could do anything he shouldn’t. Appparently not.

So, we have our first animal born on French soil. In honour of this momentous occasion we have christened him Jean-Claude. He is fine, but we are a little concerned because his mum doesn’t appear to have a huge amount of milk. Normally, we increase the does’ rations gradually over the six weeks up to kidding, but of course this didn’t happen for her. She is getting extra feed now, and we’re hoping that plus the act of him actually taking milk from her might increase the amount she’s producing, but to be honest as we’ve never had this situation before we’re not sure if that will happen. We’re offering him a bottle several times a day in case he does need topping up. The problem with kids is that, unlike lambs, they can be very reluctant to feed from a bottle, even if they are hungry. We’re hoping we can get him used to it so that as he gets bigger, if there is no increase in milk production by his mum we can make sure he always has enough.

So, what else is news? Well, the Reversible Rib Shawl did not make it to the party on New Year’s Eve. Funnily enough this was not because I ran out of time, or because it was too short. No, it was something far stupider than that. I started the third and final skein and merrily knit away for a few inches, looked at it and thought “Hmm, seems a bit lighter than the other skeins – but only a bit” and carried on knitting. After about six inches I could ignore it no longer – it WAS lighter. Much lighter, as I discovered when I took it out into daylight (can I just say in my defence that our house was built so that the “living rooms” are protected from the prevailing direction of the weather - the west - which means with low sun in winter the living room gets no natural light. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!)

I had about five minutes in serious strop mode, then remembered my mantra “It’s only knitting”.

So, Clapotis went to the ball instead, and all was well. It was a fabulous night, but more about that next time. For now, just for clarabelle, I’ll leave you with some photos of the Pyrenees taken from the garden (they look much better if you click on them to enlarge them)

















7 Comments:

Blogger florencemary said...

Jean-Claude - what a sweetie! And what an exciting New Year present! I do hope everything goes well with his feeding - updates, please!

Can you finish knitting the shawl and then redye it (though I know when 'strop stage' is reached, all hope can often be lost)?

And you are too kind with the photos of the Pyrenees! I might just have to have one of them as my desktop background. There's something about these mountains...

7:30 am  
Blogger Caroline M said...

Hurrah for baby goats. I know that it means work and worry for you but he's so cute. Look at those dangly ears. He could eat my washing any time he wanted.

Certain people shouldn't have time for commenting, certain people should be wrestling looms into actions (which would be more than I ever did)

7:40 am  
Blogger Carolyn said...

What wonderful photos -- can't wait to come and visit and see the Pyrenees for myself!

Carolyn

7:14 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

The kid is so cute! I love the view of where you live, thank you for the piccies.

2:30 pm  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

What a cute baby!! So cute!

Sorry about knitting mishaps--I've had my share too!

2:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new baby goat! :)

8:34 pm  
Blogger sandra said...

Just caught up with your blog, Carolyn. What a gorgeous little cutie. I remember when my goat kidded years ago now, in Scotland. It is quite indescribable to explain the feeling you have. Thanks for sharing.

2:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines