Friday, December 21, 2007

Brrrrrrr!!!!

We’ve been experiencing a severe cold snap over the last week or so – the first prolonged spell of cold weather so far. Overnight temperatures have been as low as -7 and each morning we’ve been greeted by brilliant sunshine and thick, thick frosts.

Although we do have central heating (which actually works now that we have a new boiler!) what we don’t have is very much in the way of insulation, so as turning the heating on seemed akin to setting fire to a pile of Euros, we haven’t. Which makes life “interesting” here at Pedemont.

Fortunately we have a HUGE wood burning stove in the lounge, which comfortably heats the lounge, kitchen and bathroom – rooms which flow one to the other (yes, I know, having a bathroom off the kitchen is less than ideal. It’s on The List). The only other room in the house we are using is our bedroom WHICH HAS NO HEATING WHATSOEVER. We do have an electric blanket, so we’re fine once we’re under the duvet, but it’s not a room you want to hang around in otherwise. Although we haven’t yet woken up to ice on the inside of the windows, it’s been close. So tomorrow, we plan to go and buy one of those oil filled radiators, which will hopefully take the chill off, and won’t cost a fortune to run.

On the knitting front I am making progress on the shawl









(that woodpile is all that stands between me and abject misery!)

I managed to persuade Ben to take some time out from his busy schedule (that would be the one that involves lying in front of the wood burner 24/7, only reluctantly venturing out when Nature calls) to model the shawl for me. You can tell he’s keen can’t you?









I still have two problems with the shawl: either I won’t finish it in time, or I will, but it will be too short. I have about 120g of yarn left and I estimate it will be about 50” before blocking. It’s very stretchy so I may be able to block it to a decent size. Time will tell. So far, it’s been a great knit. I thought acres of 2x2 ribbing might be deathly boring but the cable rows are frequent enough to keep me interested. I think the finished shawl will be pretty, but I can see how much lovelier it would be in KSH. Maybe one day....

Last Sunday one of our local villages, Marciac, held their Christmas market.









This is the first time I’ve seen Santa in shades, and I love his little helper, balanced on the horse’s back. Santa spent the afternoon taking children round the square in his cart and that little dog stayed stuck to the horse the whole time!

I very much doubt I'll post again before Christmas, though I will try and let you know if the shawl is finished in time for the New Year's Eve bash, so for now, may you all have the Christmas & New Year you wish for!

8 Comments:

Blogger Caroline M said...

Merry Christmas to you too Carolyn. I remember the days bch (before central heating) when there was no heat in my bedroom. I had frost ferns on the windows and I used to have all my clothes set out the night before so I could pick them up and run to the kitchen to get dressed in front of the oven.

You need lots of woollies, what a good job you knit.

5:37 pm  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Sounds like you need to knit up some nice warm socks and jumpers!

Good luck finishing the shawl, and have a very happy Christmas and New Year's. Can't wait to see you in London in January!

xo

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas *C* & co !!!


Christmas came early here, hubby had to tell me that he'd gotton me another sow for xmas as she is coming on the boat this friday, and... she's due to pig in 5 weeks !!

Excited & stressed, I need to get this other pig hut finished very soon before the next storm arrives.


Angela

7:00 am  
Blogger maylin said...

It's been -8 here some mornings! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year

9:35 am  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Hope you had a warm and wonderful Christmas!

6:33 am  
Blogger florencemary said...

Your shawl is gorgeous - I absolutely love the pattern (even though Ben looks unconvinced!).

I have memories like Caroline's, of pre-central heating, though I still like to sleep in an unheated bedroom. You can't beat a hot water bottle!

Hope you're enjoying a lovely Christmas/New Year break in... Gascony (it breaks my heart to type the word...)!

11:51 am  
Blogger sandra said...

Are you on Ravelry yet? I would love to email you but can't find your addy anywhere.I am in Basse Normandie and would like some of your yarn when you have any.Don't really do ebay anymore so no good that way.Such an interesting blog.Well done you!

11:21 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

A little late but...
Happy New Year!

1:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Subscribe with Bloglines